“The National Food Buffer Stock Company (NAFCo) has announced a collaboration with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture to establish additional storage facilities nationwide.
This partnership aims to enhance the storage capacity for grains, preventing potential food shortages, particularly in secondary schools.
Hanan Abdul-Wahab, the CEO of NAFCo, spoke to reporters in Accra, highlighting the necessity to construct more warehouses in preparation for an abundant grain harvest facilitated by the government’s Planting for Food and Jobs initiative.
Abdul-Wahab emphasized that the expansion includes warehouses and the rehabilitation of neglected silos for extended storage.
An ongoing assessment of abandoned silos is underway, given the substantial grain yield expected in Ghana during the second phase of the Food and Jobs program.
“For more than two months, there has been a dispute between NAFCO and the National Food Suppliers Association regarding unpaid dues of GH¢200 million owed to suppliers who provided food to various senior high schools nationwide.
While the majority of this sum, around 85%, has been settled, the remaining 15% remains unpaid.
Members of the association initiated a protest at NAFCO’s premises, during which two individuals fell ill in July, before eventually receiving their payments.
In a recent conversation with a representative of the affected members, Kwaku Amedume revealed that the government still has outstanding payments of over GH¢300 million owed to association members for the food they supplied in 2023.”